« Home | We can't have no stinkin' freedom of information » | "Goddamn you Ben McCulloch" » | "Kill them all and let a Norse god sort them out" » | T-12 » | Where can I get one of those taxis? » | timestamp » | Hello World » 

Wednesday, August 11, 2004 

Hometown roots

K-town rejoice! One of our many small, obscure claims to fame author Alex Haley was born on this day in 1921. Its not that Alex Haley is small time or obscure, just that no biography I could find even mentioned the fact that he had a house in East Knoxville. In fact the only mention of Tennessee I found was Henning, TN. As best as I can tell Henning is northeast of Memphis - so like more than 400 miles away from Knoxville.

For those in my non-existent, and thus every multiplying readership that don't know who Alex Haley is; he is responsible for the interviews that became the Autobiography of Malcolm X, the author of Roots and several other novels, and was a correspondent for Playboy and Readers Digest from the early 1960s until the 1990s. As soon as I finish Greenlee's The Spook Who Sat by the Door I think that I'm going to get Haley's A Different Kind of Christmas.

Who wants to have a picnic in Alex Haley park?

About Me

Recent Comments

Current Books // Articles

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates